Marigold Valley is located on the townsites of Marigold and West Marigold. Originally established in the late 1800’s as a stage stop between Canon City and Cripple Creek, it eventually became an encampment for the construction workers building the Carlton Tunnel between 1930 and 1941. It had a post office on the pony express route between 1895 and 1902.
Charles Chapman bought his first piece of the valley in 1921 and he and his wife lived there with their four sons. Charles continued to purchase land from tax sales and foreclosures, growing the ranch and raising cattle. His son, Jim, continued with the ranching industry and land acquisitions, eventually expanding the ranch toward Cripple Creek. Jim and his wife, Marlene, raised their four children in the valley. The original Marigold townsite was eventually plowed under for hayfields.
Today, ranching is still a part of Marigold Valley. Jim, Jr. continues to raise beef in the valley but has started to transition the valley into growing hops. Throughout the valley, numerous wild hops can be found. These hops were thought to be brought in with the original French settlers in the early 1800’s. The fertile soils and temperate climate is the perfect conditions for vines and bines.
Located along the Gold Belt Byway, Marigold Valley Hops can be found nine miles south of Cripple Creek and seventeen miles north of Canon City at the Chapman Ranch.